Monday 26 July 2010

How long is a day's boating?

Well, if I am to be in Nuneaton by lunchtime on Wednesday, quite long!
I was away from the F&A at about 5.15am today on a grey but dry morning. There was no other boat moving at all between there and Gailey, at which I arrived at 7.05am.
It was not long, though, before others were up and around and I stopped for a coffee break at Penkridge Lock at 9.15am.
When I arrived at Teddesley I thought I recognised the folk working a boat up through the lock, and it turned out to be BCF members Philip and Heather Barnes. A useful chat ensued about arrangements for the Black Country Boating Festival in September when they will be heading up the BCF presence.
We went on our divergent ways and I completed the descent at Tixall lock at 1.55pm.
The next stop was to replenish the fuel tank at Great Haywood before turning south on the Trent & Mersey canal at about 3.00pm.
Where to stop for the night? Ping - a bright idea - what about The Taft, home to BCF members Peter & Julie Thorn?
I arrived there at 4.25pm and found their boat Maid of Oak http://www.batesboatyard.co.uk/MaidOfOak.htm on its mooring with Peter only a toot away. A warm welcome ensued, part of which was 'cup-of-tea' shaped. He was quite happy for me to moor there for the night, and I was also invited to supper later on, after Heather had returned home.

No comments:

Post a Comment