Tuesday 27 July 2010

A Day of Contrasts

Actually, the only real contrast was between wearing a raincoat or not! On and off showers and drizzle were the order of the day - a least to start with.
I left The Taft at 5.40am, hoping to get within a half-day's journey of Marston Junction (the start of the Ashby Canal) by tonight. By 8.30am I had reached the first lock descending to Fradley Junction. It was a bit slow at Fradley Middle Lock due to an inexperienced boater not realising a gate paddle was partially open. But we soon got that sorted and I turned onto the Coventry Canal at 9.35am. Having passed through the swing bridge I stopped to fill Chyandour with water (and me with coffee). Soon on my way, and Fazeley Junction hove into sight at about 1.30pm.
I wanted to get fairly close to Atherton before stopping so that I could have a good run at them in the morning, so I decided to stop at Bradley Green for the night. Before then, however, was the small matter of Glascote Locks. These had been passed by 2.45pm, and I moored at Bradley at 4.45pm.
The afternoon had been sunny from 2.30pm - a real bonus after the morning's efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment